Assignment on Globalization, Emerging Economies
Assignment 1: Required Assignment 2—Emerging Economies and Globalization
Markets in developed economies are approaching saturation level. Therefore, MNCs are searching for new untapped markets in emerging countries such as India and China. Since the healthcare industry will continue to grow in the future due to the size of the global population and its age composition, General Electric Healthcare (GEH) is trying to capitalize on these trends. It is expanding its operations and development of new drugs and manufacturing of the medical equipment in India and China.
Read the following articles:
- At least one peer-reviewed article related to the trade theories in general as well as for China and India
- Articles related to the human resource management for MNCs, focusing on ethical, cross-cultural and diversity management issues, expatriate training, and expatriates’ success/failure in overseas assignments
- Articles related to GEH
Then, respond to the following:
- Select two trade theories that best explain why GEH expanded its operations of developing new drugs to India, and manufacturing X-ray business to China.
- Explain the selected theories, and then evaluate GEH’s reasoning.
- Explain possible pitfalls for such strategy from GEH’s perspective.
- Identify solutions to the possible pitfalls for the strategy.
- Identify and evaluate the ethical dilemmas associated with GEH’s expansion of its operations of developing new drugs to India and manufacturing X-ray business to China. Be sure to provide specific examples to further support and demonstrate your points.
- For each operation (India and China), evaluate GEH’s human resource strategy, including an examination of the unique ethical and diversity management challenges associated with operating in a foreign country.
- Discuss how you would address any deficiencies in GEH’s human resource strategy in respect to ethical and diversity management issues. Be sure to provide specific examples to further support and demonstrate your points and solutions.
- Identify how you would design training for preparing expatriates for their assignments to India and China if you were in charge of their training prior to the overseas assignment. In doing so, include training components addressing ethical and diversity management challenges.
Write a 7–10-page paper in Word format. Utilize at least five to seven scholarly sources in your research. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Make sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A1.doc. By the due date assigned, deliver your assignment to the Submissions Area.
Assignment 1 Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsSelected two trade theories that are specific and appropriate to the expansion of GEH. The theories explain why operations were expanded.20Explanation of theories is specific, accurate, and clear. The explanation includes how the theories are incorporated into the expansion of GEH. Evaluation of reasoning to expand is complete, appropriate, and accurate. The evaluation states how expanding benefits GEH.40Explanation of pitfalls is reasonable and appropriate. Explanation includes how and why the pitfalls are likely to occur. Pitfalls explained are reasonable based on the strategy.30Solutions identified are reasonable, appropriate, and likely to solve any possible problems. Solutions given explain how possible pitfalls could be remedied.30Ethical dilemmas associated with GEH’s expansion of its operations of developing new drugs to India and manufacturing X-ray business to China are sufficiently identified and evaluated. Specific examples to further support and demonstrate points are provided.40Evaluation of the human resource strategy is complete, specific, and in depth. The evaluation focuses on aspects of the strategy unique to each operation (i.e., diversity, acquisition, etc.).36Deficiencies in GEH’s human resource strategy in respect to ethical and diversity management issues are discussed and viable solutions are provided. Specific examples to further support and demonstrate points and solutions are provided.36Identification of training design is complete, clear, and specific. Training includes information on preparing for both professional and personal development. Justification for the training design is included.40Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.28Total:300